Chairman of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 and Secretary to the Government of the Federation SGF, Boss Mustapha, has warned Nigerians against the practice of sharing facemask amongst themselves or picking face masks at dumpsites for recycling.
Mustapha while speaking at the daily press briefing of the taskforce in Abuja, said the task force has been reliably informed of this unhealthy practice amongst some Nigerians.
While speaking against this hazardous practice, Mustapha said
- “The PTF has become aware of the on-going practice of sharing masks and picking of masks for recycling from dumpsites. This places a lot of responsibility on all of us to be self-educated and to educate others.
- The following points are emphasized:?
- Except for fabric masks, every disposable used mask is a?hazardous medical waste and should be disposed of properly, preferably by burning;
- It is very risky to share masks as the virus is capable of remaining on surfaces for several hours and you could get infected;
- The unhealthy practice of picking up disposed masks for whatever purpose is harmful to both the individual picking it and whoever procures it later.
- Particularly, it will be helpful for high-risk people such as the elderly and those with comorbidities, to wear masks or face covering and avoid crowded places. As we reminded you earlier, please keep grandchildren away from their grandparents to avoid any transmission. Most importantly, emphatically say no to stigmatization.”